What are Merge Module projects?- Merge Module projects enable creation and deployment of code that can be shared by multiple applications.
- This may include dll’s, resource files, registry based entries etc.
- The windows database also keeps track of a reference count for the projects.
- It allows you to create reusable setup components.
- It is a single package that contains all files, resources, registry entries and setup logic necessary to install a component.
- It cannot be installed alone, but it must be used within the context of a window installer (.msi) file.
- It allows you to capture all the dependencies for a particular component.
- To avoid versioning problems, always use merge modules for any component or file that will be shared by multiple applications.
- It is like a snapshot of a particular version of a component.
- It should be created for each successive version of a component in order to avoid version conflicts.