Describe in brief system database.Master Database
Master database is system database. It contains information about server’s configuration. It is a very important database and important to backup Master database. Without Master database, server can't be started.
It stores information related to database backups, DTS packages, Replication, SQL Agent information, SQL Server jobs.
It stores temporary objects like temporary tables and temporary stored procedure.
It is a template database used in the creation of new database.
What are the basic functions for master, msdb, model, tempdb and resource databases?Master database is used to store information of all the databases on the SQL server. The server cannot start if the database is not configured properly.
The msdb database stores information regarding database backups, SQL Agent information, DTS packages, SQL Server jobs, and some replication information such as for log shipping.
The tempdb is used to store temporary objects such as global and local temporary tables and stored procedures.
The model is essentially a template database used in the creation of any new user database created in the instance.
The resoure Database is a read-only database that contains all the system objects that are included with SQL Server. SQL Server system objects, such as sys.objects, are physically persisted in the Resource database, but they logically appear in the sys schema of every database. The Resource database does not contain user data or user metadata.
Describe in brief system database.The system database contains information/metadata for all database present on an SQL Server instance. The system database stores information regarding logins, configuration settings, connected servers etc. It also holds various extended stored procedures to access external processes and applications.
Major system databases :
- Master: Core system database to mange Sql Server instance.
- Resource: Responsible for physically storing all system objects.
- TempDB: This is a temporary database used to store temporary, tables, cursors, indexes, variables etc.
- Model: This acts as a template database for all user created databases.
- MSDB: Database to manage SQL Server agent configurations.
- Distribution: Database primarily used for SQL Server replication.
- ReportServer: Main database for reporting services to store metadata and other object definitions.
- ReportServerTempDB: Acts as a temporary storage for reporting services.