What is email marketing? What are the types of email marketing?Email marketing is directly marketing by using electronic mail as the communication medium for commercial marketing or advertising to a group of people at a time. This internet marketing strategy generally works by using emails to send ads, request business or solicit sales or donations and any form of email communication that is meant to built customer interest, loyalty and increasing the current customer base. It basically aims at encouraging ‘repeat business'.
What aspects of the internet does internet marketing encompass?Internet marketing doesn’t only mean marketing on the internet. It has a broad scope as it also includes marketing done via e-mail and wireless media. Digital customer data and electronic customer relationship management systems(ECRM) are often grouped together under internet marketing. It encompasses also the creative and technical aspects of the internet like design, development, advertising and sales. It also refers to the placement of media along the various different stages of the customer engagement cycle through search engine marketing(SEM), search engine optimization(SEO), banner ads, email marketing, mobile advertising and Web 2.0 strategies.
What is SEO?SEO stands for search engine optimization and is a part of internet marketing. SEO is a method by which the visibility of a website or a web page is increased on search engine. It is done to increase the visits on the site as more frequently and high the website appears on a search engine, more will be the visitors visiting it. SEO is the study of how the search engines operate and how it can be used to increase visibility of a website or a web page. SEO involves the following practices
- Editing the content and the associated HTML coding.
- Optimizing the keywords strength in the content.
- Assigning relevant and keyword specific title tags and other meta tags.
- Increasing the number of back links and inbound links.
List and briefly explain the types of email marketing strategiesThe following are the various types of email marketing techniques:
a. Email newsletters: They are direct emails sent out to a list of subscribers or customers on a regular basis. They may be sent out daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly or even annually. They primarily aim at building and strengthening the customer relationship with the company.
b. Traditional emails: They are triggered transactional messages sent out based on a customer’s action with a company. They include dropped basket messages, purchase or order confirmation emails and email receipts. They primarily aim at conveying and confirming the actions that triggered it. These days many email newsletter software vendors provide transactional email support which gives companies the ability to include promotional messages or advertisements within the body of the transactional emails. Some software vendors even offer specialized email marketing services such as providing targeted and personalized transactional email messages and running specific marketing campaigns such as customer referral programs which thereby
enhances the vendor’s or website owner’s online marketing strategy.
c. Direct mails: This email marketing strategy includes sending an email solely for the purpose of communicating a promotional message, such as announcement of a special offer or catalogs of products. Companies generally maintain a list of customers or potential customers or even hire a list of email addresses from service companies to send direct mails to.
What are the advantages of internet marketing?The advantages of internet marketing are as follows:
1. Large audience.
3. Availability of various options making it convenient for the customer to research through products and services available and then make a purchase.
4. Statistics can be measured more easily due to availability of various tools.
5. Various advertising methods available such as:
- Pay per click
- Pay per impression
- Pay per play
- Pay per action
6. Trends of e marketing and their results can be studied easily.
What are the limitations of internet marketing?The limitations of internet marketing are as follows:
1. As the products and services offered are not tangible they can not be touched, tasted or smelled before purchasing.
2. The quality and authentication of the product and services offered online cannot be confirmed and thus uncertainty always persists.
3. Product seen online at times differs from what is finally delivered.
4. As the products are delivered by carriers there is a huge dependency on courier companies which might delay the delivery or lead to product damage while transaction.
5. To purchase a product online personal details need to be entered such as card details and personal information which are vulnerable to leaks.
What is pay per click? Which internet marketing model does it follow?‘Pay per click’ , also known as ‘cost per click’ is a form of internet advertising which is used for directing traffic to websites. In this advertisers pay the site owners or publishers for the ads being viewed or click. Pay per click introduces a simple strategy of marketing in which an advertiser pays the website for publishing his advertisement and getting people to view it by clicking it, the more the views are for the advertisement, better is the revenue generated by the website from advertisement. Generally ‘pay per click’ is used by advertisers on keyword phrases relevant to their target markets. Content sites generally charge a fixed amount per click rather than using a bidding system. ‘Pay per click’ advertisements are commonly displayed on websites and search engine results.‘Pay per click’ is an approach that differs from the ‘pay per impression’ methods used in television and newspaper advertising.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of email marketing?Advantages of email marketing are:
1. Large audience.
2. Internet users check emails on regular basis.
3. Return of investment generated can be huge if email marketing is planned the right way.
4. Email is the most basic and popular service of internet and thus most people are familiar with it.
Disadvantages of email marketing are:
1. Filtering causes large number of emails to be rendered undelivered.
2. Spamming in emails may lead to legal action against internet marketers.
3. Needs to be planned very carefully as very minute factors may lead to an email being rendered undelivered or filtered out.
What is internet marketing? By what other names is it known ?Marketing of products and services over the internet is known as internet marketing. It is also known by the following names:
- Web marketing
- Online marketing
List the various types of internet marketing.The various types of internet marketing include:
- Display advertising
- Search engine marketing
- Search engine optimization
- Social media marketing
- Email marketing
- Referral marketing
- Affiliate marketing
- Inbound marketing
How can a product be sold more effectively online?Following are steps that can be taken to make sales more effective online :
1. Define the objective of creating the product.
2. Make clear what problem and needs does your product caters.
3. Explain the problem and the pain points faced by people.
4. Present the solution and how the product will fulfill it.
5. Layout features and benefits.
6. Provide guarantee wherever you can to make the customer feel secure.
What should be kept in mind when drafting an email for marketing?
Following things should be kept in mind when drafting an email for marketing purposes :
1. Use an effective subject.
2. Make sure the email does not go into spam. To ensure this make sure the email does not have too many links and restricted words which lead to mail ending up as spam.
3. Keep the email body crisp and up to the mark.
4. Make your point and do not drift away from it.
5. Avoid any form of grammatical mistakes.
6. Reiterate atleast once.
What is CRM?CRM stands for Customer relationship management. It is a process which companies use for client interaction. It involves business processes like sales, customer support and marketing. The main objective of CRM is not only to retain old clients but also to search and attract newer ones. Organizations also use software for the same but the major issue is that an interface used in CRM is not user friendly which leads them to choose some other options. The objective of CRM in marketing perspective is to keep track of emails and social media.
How can Page URL be made more apt for optimization?Page URL can be made more apt by following these simple guidelines
1.Describe Your Content
Page URL should be so descriptive that by looking at the URL, user should get an idea of what the page is all about. Try to use words that are relevant to your store content.
2.Keep it Short
Always remember the shorter the URL the easier to copy and paste and remember which is more useful. Avoid using excessive keywords. Although search engines allow 1000 characters but only 70 characters will display in search engine results.
3. Minimize numbers and symbols
Use words or phrases in the URL instead of using numbers, symbols and punctuation.
4.Hyphens separate best
When creating URL’s with multiple words in the format of a phrase, hyphens are best to separate the terms.
5.Always use lower case alphabets
Since URL’s can accept both uppercase and lowercase alphabets, do not allow any uppercase letters in your structure as lowercase searching dominates all the search engines.
6.Never use nested sub directories
Using nested sub directories like “…/dir1/dir2/dir3/page.html” makes the URL lengthy and complex.
What is page title and how can it be made more effective?Page title is the title that appears when the cursor is hovered upon the tab in which the web page is open. Following are set of rules that can be followed to make page title more effective :
1.Make it relevant and short: Title tags are concise and to the point. So, make each word relevant to who you are and what you do. Although search engines allow 120 characters in the title tag but only 70 characters will display in search engine results.
2. Write descriptive title tag: Make sure the title tag effectively communicates the topic of the page content. Avoid using single title tag across all the pages and do not use vague titles like untitled or new page.
3.Include your store name and domain: The title tag is another way to display your store name and domain and get your store noticed by search engines and people.
4.Include keywords and phrases: Use the most important keywords in the title tags so that the store pages will be indexed properly. If each page of your store focuses on a specific topic then be sure to use the keywords specific to each page in the title tag. Don’t make them all the same.
5.Minimize numbers and symbols : Use words or phrases in the title tag instead of using numbers, symbols and punctuation.
6.Don’t use duplicate keywords : Don’t repeat the keywords and write the relevant content. Make sure you do not use the words that would make it read like a sentence.
What is meta description and what is the right way to frame it?
Meta description is used to describe the web page over the internet. It can be framed the right way using the following steps :
1.Describe your page accurately: Your description should be a depiction of what users can expect to find on that particular page. It provides summary of the page to users and the search engines. Make sure you describe it within 250 characters.
2.Use maximum number of keywords: Using keywords into your Meta description tells the users and the search engines that it includes the content they are searching for. Search engine first examine page titles, but if they still cannot determine which site best addresses their needs, they then turn to the most relevant page descriptions.
3.Use store name and domain: Make sure you use your store name and store domain in the meta description.
4.Do not duplicate meta descriptions: Make sure you do not use the same description across all the pages. If you duplicate the meta description content on all your store pages then the search engine will assign lower ranking to the pages assuming that the content is either not unique or its being automatically generated.
5.Provide unique description: Avoid copying and pasting of entire information in the meta description. Do not write the description that has no relation to the content of the page.
How can meta keyword be used to pump visibility?
To increase the visibility of a website or a page over internet meta keyword must be optimized the right way. Meta keywords can be optimized using the following rules :
1.Use relevant words or phrases : Keywords you enter should be relevant to the store pages and should contain the common words or phrases a user may search with. Include the page name and make sure the keywords should not exceed beyond 1000 characters including comma and spaces.
2.Avoid duplicate words : Try to use different words with the same meaning but do not repeat the words. If you duplicate the words then the search engine will assign lower ranking to the pages assuming that the content is not unique.
3.Begin with important words : Put the most important words or phrases in the beginning of the list. Search engine searches the sites by examining the keywords. Keep your store name and store domain in the beginning of the list.
4.Use comma for separation : Use “comma” (,) for separating two keywords. Avoid punctuation and other special symbols in the keywords.
How to prevent email getting into SPAM?Following steps should be taken to prevent mail from ending in SPAM :
- Check if your domain name has been blacklisted.
- If you are using html, then html should be well coded.
- Avoid using spam filtering words, punctuation or capital letters message in your content/subject.
- Spam filters look to see how many messages you are sending at a time.
- Encourage your receiver to add you as friend or contact.
- Keep the length of your subject under 45 characters.
- Don’t use lots of colored fonts.
- Only use one exclamation point at a time!
- Avoid using the phrases "to unsubscribe" and "to be removed" in your message body.
- If you want to deliver an important message to multiple groups better use the ‘BCC’ function.
Most, if not all, email providers’ spam filters penalize your domain or IP with a higher spam score (meaning there’s a higher possibility of your emails going to junk folder) if they see that you are sending emails to bad email accounts. A bad email account is an address that doesn’t exist, has been disabled or has a full inbox.
What are checklists before sending email?Before pressing ‘SEND’ button ASK four questions and if u get all your answers then only press ‘SEND’ button.
1. What is purpose of your email?
2. What action needs to result from your email?
3. What supporting documentation needs to be attached to your communication?
4. Have you successfully summarized your email message in the subject line?
5. Check SPAM score(Mailcheck) and modify your content as per score you received
6. Press send
How is image optimization organized?Following are steps to organize image optimization :
1.Use keywords in the image description : Using keywords in the image filename is important for helping search engines determine the image relevancy.
2.Create descriptive alt tag : An alt tags is a way that search engines help in determine that what your image is about. Search engines rely on captions around the image, alt tag and file names.
3.Make sure image matches the content for which it is uploaded : The content surrounding the image should be related to alt tags, image title and description. When these things align, it helps search engines confirm that you’re not spamming and the image is relevant.
4.Don’t use duplicate keywords : Don’t repeat the keywords and write the relevant content. Your alt text and file names should be short and descriptive. Make sure you do not use the words that would make it read like a sentence.
5.Save images in one folder : Store image files in a single folder instead of saving image files spread out in numerous directories and folders across your domain .This simplifies the path to your images.
6. Use an Image Sitemap
An Image Sitemap file provides more information to search engines about the images found at your store.
More Practice Questions:1. Why is Internet marketing sometimes called as e-marketing?
2. What is the function of search engine optimization used in internet marketing?
3. How does Google function to list or rank the pages?
4. How many marketing strategies exist in internet marketing?
5. What are the different types of tools used for internet marketing? Explain the use of all?
6. How does pay per click campaigns function?
7. What is the procedure to perform keywords analysis?
8. What are the things that have to be kept in mind before creating the content for websites?
9. What does entrepreneurship means? What does it include?
10. How is internet marketing used to create a stream of income online?
11. Mention the ways by which you can introduce payment gateways?
12. How will you generate traffic on your website?
13. How important are clicks of the users for the popularity of your website?
14. How many different types of marketing methods exist today?
15. How can you advertise on web using internet marketing?
16. What are traffic exchange programs and how do they function?
17. How is money being generated by internet marketing?
18. How to make a website to sell it through internet marketing?
19. What are the creative and technical aspects of internet marketing?
20. How does domain engineering concept works?
21. How so we maintain this domain engineering concept?
22. What are spams? What are the potential disadvantages of using it for advertising?
23. What are the things that are required to setup the internet marketing platform?
24. What are the different types of corporate strategies used to increase the business?
25. What are the opportunities created by internet marketing for unemployed people?
26. How is affiliate marketing industry different from other marketing industry?
27. What all are the activities that can be performed by using web storefront?
28. What are the differences between B2B and B2C advertising?
29. How to promote the awareness banners on the website?
30. What is the procedure to sell online space for hosting?
31. What is the difference between Ad-words and Ad-sense?
32. What are the advantages and disadvantages of internet marketing?
33. How effective is the pop-up advertising that is used in internet marketing?
34. What is the purpose of people promoting on internet?
35. What does the Limelon theorem says regarding internet marketing?
36. What are the different promotional techniques used in this field?
37. Explain advantages and disadvantages of any two techniques used in this field?
38. What are the differences between international marketing and global marketing schemes?
39. Where is Meta marketing used? What does it mean?
40. Why does portfolio analysis done by marketers before going into the market?
41. How to remove duplicate content from website that has already been published?
42. What does AIDA principle means in terms of internet marketing?
43. What are the different online channels used to advertise a website?
44. How to place security features in internet marketing?
45. What are the different levels used in industrial marketing channel?
46. Who uses domain advertising the most?
47. What are the activities that are performed by BTL marketing?
48. How to advertise ads and other advertisements through videos?
49. What are the major functions performed by advertising?
50. What is the purpose of domain monetization?