15th trilateral RIC meeting held
Q. What does the regional grouping RIC stand for?- Published on 12 Dec 17
trilateral meeting of the Russia-India-China (RIC) foreign ministers was held in New Delhi.
It was held between India's External Affairs Minister, Sushma Swaraj, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and China's Minister of Foreign Affairs, Wang Yi.
The discussions of meeting focused on regional security, issues affecting Asia-Pacific region, counter-terror efforts and coordination at regional and multilateral forums. The ministers reiterated importance trilateral format as platform to foster closer dialogue and practical cooperation in identified areasJoint Communique
The ministers released joint communiqué after meeting. They agreed to strengthen the trilateral dialogue for consultation and coordination on regional and global issues of mutual interest.International and regional peace:
- They held that cooperation is conducive to maintaining international and regional peace, stability and promoting global economic growth and prosperity.
- They stressed for establishment of just and equitable international order based on international law and mutual respect, fairness and justice.
- They held that various crises in the world should be resolved in accordance with the international law.
- The three nations also condemned terrorism in all its forms and manifestations and reaffirmed that all acts of terrorism are criminal and unjustifiable irrespective of their motivations, committed wherever and by whomsoever.
- They called for prevention of arms race in outer space for maintaining international peace and security. Russia and China reiterated that they welcome India's participation in Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation.
- It is a trilateral grouping of Russia, India and China that has met annually since 2002.
- In recent years, it has functioned as complement to other frameworks involving three countries and including Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO).