20,000 Swachhta Doots trained for Clean Ganga Mission!
Q. Which of the following is/are true regarding National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG)?
1) 1,00,000 youths in Ganga basin states will be trained and deployed as 'Swachhta Doots'.
2) Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan is entrusted with this task.- Published on 19 Jan 17
a. Only 1
b. Only 2
c. Both 1 and 2
d. Neither 1 nor 2
ANSWER: Only 2
- 20,000 youths in Ganga basin states will be trained and deployed to represent Namami Gange programme as “Swachhta Doots”.
- They would go in 29 districts spanning about 2,336 villages along the river in basin states of Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and West Bengal to spread message of keeping the river clean among the local dwellers and visitors.
- Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan (NYKS), an autonomous organisation under Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports has been entrusted with this task.
- The youth, once trained, would exhort and motivate local population and tourists to refrain from polluting river Ganga.
- The Swachhta Doots would educate the target audience about the adverse consequences of polluting Ganga.
- They will also be an asset in providing information on existing government activities like construction of toilets, water harvesting and conservation for creation of a comprehensive database in coordination with National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG), the implementing arm of Namami Gange programme.