4 new species of sea slugs found in Vizhinjam, India
Q. Glossodoris rufomaculatus , Goniobranchus annulatus, Hypselodoris nigrostriata , and Hoplodoris flammea are- Published on 02 Aug 16
a. Sea Slugs
ANSWER: Sea Slugs
- Four species of sea slugs never before sighted in India was found at Vizhinjam, India.
- The four new species of sea slugs, including Glossodoris rufomaculatus , Goniobranchus annulatus, Hypselodoris nigrostriata , and Hoplodoris flammea, were reported from the near-shore rocky reef areas between Kovalam and Mulloor in the Vizhinjam bay.
- Known scientifically as opisthobranchs, sea slugs are the most colourful marine animals mostly found in reef-associated areas.
- Unlike other organisms of their phylum Mollusca which possess a hard external skeleton, sea slugs have a rudimentary shell inside or none at all.
- Several novel medicines, including anticancer drugs have been developed from sea slugs.