5 Important Things to Know About DigiGaon and BharatNet
Q. Which of the following is correct?- Published on 03 Feb 17
a. DigiGaon will provide telemedicine, education and skills through digital technology
b. BharatNet Project allocation has been increased by INR 10,000 crores.
c. All of the above
d. None of the above
ANSWER: All of the above
FM Arun Jaitley as per Budget 2017 highlighted the importance of India’s telecom sector. The FM announced that the allocation of the aspirational BharatNet project has been raised to INR 10,000 crores.
Additionally, the FM announced that a DigiGaon initiative will be launched that aims for the provision of telemedicine, education and skills with the help of digital technology.
The Finance Minister added that the recently held spectrum auctions have lowered the spectrum scarcity in the country.
Meanwhile, Jaitley said that the government’s agenda for this year will be to modify, energise and enable India (TEC India) and that digital economy will play a huge part in its implementation and achievement.
1. Under the BharatNet Project, OFC has been laid in 1,55,000 km. Allocation for BharatNet Project has been stepped up to INR 10,000 crores in 2017-18.
2. By the end of 2017-2018, high-speed broadband connectivity on optical fibre will be available in more than 1,50,000 gram panchayats, with WiFii hot spots and access to digital services at low tariffs.
3. A DigiGaon initiative will be launched to provide telemedicine, education and skills through digital technology.
4. Telecom sector is an important component of our infrastructure ecosystem.
5. The recent spectrum auctions have removed spectrum scarcity in the country. This will give a major boost to mobile broadband and Digital India for the benefit of people living in rural and remote areas.