All networks require a central location
Programming Language (MCQ) questions
Q. All networks require a central location to bring media segments together. These central locations are called _________ .
- Published on 19 Oct 15
C programming (
Software Engineering (
Web Technologies (
Data Structure (
Operating System (
-Posted on 07 Oct 15
- Hubs :
- Hubs are special repeaters that overcome electromechanical limitations of a media signal path.
- Hubs are used to build networks means it build a LAN by connecting different computers in a star or hierarchical network topology.
- It require a central location to bring media to bring media segment together.
- Hubs have two main types,-
- A passive hub combines the signals of network segments but there is no any signal regeneration. The signal is forwarded as it is. so it doesn't need power supply. It reduces the cabling distance and also with a passive hub, all computer receives the signal sent from all other computer.
- The signal is amplified so they work as repeaters. It also called as multiport repeaters. And they require a power supply.
Hubs can be connected to other hubs using an uplink port to extend the network.
- Bridges :
- Bridges are used to extend networks by maintaining signals and traffic.
- Routers :
- Routers are used to connect different LANs or a LAN with a WAN (eg. the Internet).
- If a packets destination is on a different network, a router is used to pass it the right way, so without router the internet could not performed.
- Switches :
- Switches are used to broadcasting the frames everywhere, a switch actually checks for the destination MAC address and forward it to the relevant port to reach that computer only.
Post your comment / Share knowledge
Enter the code shown above:
(Note: If you cannot read the numbers in the above image, reload the page to generate a new one.)