Andaman and Nicobar Islands to get first railway line!
Q. Which Indian UT got approval for its first railway line?- Published on 08 Feb 17
a. Daman and Diu
c. Andaman and Nicobar Islands
d. None of the above
ANSWER: Andaman and Nicobar Islands
The Union Railway Ministry has approved a 240-KM broad-gauge railway line project in Andaman and Nicobar islands.
The first railway line on Andaman and Nicobar Islands will connect Port Blair (capital) in the south with Diglipur, the biggest town on the north Andaman Island.
Presently both destinations are linked by a 350-km bus service that takes over 14 hours and a ship that takes around 24 hours and there is no air connectivity.
Following completion, it will give fillip to tourism from the current 4.5 lakh visitors a year to around 6 lakh a year.About A & N Islands:
- Andaman and Nicobar Islands are a group of islands at the juncture of the Bay of Bengal and Andaman Sea.
- It is one of the seven UTs of India.
- It comprises two island groups, the Andaman Islands and the Nicobar Islands, separated by the 10°N parallel.
- The islands host the Andaman and Nicobar Command, the only tri-service geographical command of the Indian Armed Forces.
- The islands are home to the only known Paleolithic people, the Sentinelese people.