Assam : First eastern state to have e-wallet!
Q. Which of the following states in India have e-wallets of their own?
3) Tamil nadu
4) Karnataka- Published on 16 Jan 17
a. 2, 3, 4
b. 1, 2
c. 1, 3, 4
d. All of the above
ANSWER: 1, 2
- With digital e-wallet Toka Paisa, which also has a smart-card version Assam became the first state in eastern India to have its own e-wallet.
- Until now (15th January 2017) only Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra have their own e-wallets.
- The E-wallet has a local language interface, which was developed by techies from the state-owned Assam Electronics Development Corporation Limited (AMTRON).
- The state has many river islands and riverbanks which are isolated due to poor internet connectivity.
- The offline smart card which can be used in POS (point of sale) terminals will be able to serve those areas.
- But young entrepreneurs who have been opening up various hyper-local digital start-ups are sceptical as they feel that it is difficult to convince people to change their old ways in specifically the rural areas.