BARC and Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences & Technology sign MoU
Q. BARC and Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology have signed an MoU to develop the DBS system. What does DBS stand for?- Published on 16 Aug 16
a. Deep Brain Stimulator
b. Deep Basic Stimulator
c. Depth Brain Stimulator
d. Depth Basic Stimulator
ANSWER: Deep Brain Stimulator
The Bhabha Atomic Research Centre and Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences & Technology, Thiruvananthapuram have signed an MoU to develop Deep Brain Stimulator/DBS.
- DBS is currently being imported limiting its wider usage to high cost.
- Planned joint development is targeted to provide an alternative that is affordable.
- DBS involves implanting electrodes within certain brain areas and regular electrical pulses generated by pacemaker like device placed under the skin in upper chest regulates abnormal impulses of the brain.
- It is used in neurological conditions of essential tremor, dystonia and Parkinson’s Disease.
- DBS comprises implanted pulse generator, electrodes and extension cable which interface with external programmer modules and wireless battery chargers.
- As per the MoU, BARC will develop the device as per specifications provided by SCTIMST and the latter will manage clinical trials, testing and qualifications.
- Electronics Division Reactor Control Division and Centre for Design & Manufacture of the BARC will participate in developing various subsystems.