BSI: Close to 8000 species of medicinal herbs and plants found in India
Q. How many species of medicinal herbs and plants are found in India according to the Botanical Survey of India?- Published on 01 Aug 16
Botanical Survey of India, an organisation under Ministry of Environment, Forests & Climate Change, GoI have carried out survey and documentation of plant resources of the country including medicinal and aromatic plants and herbs.
- According to the BSI estimate, close to 8000 species of medicinal herbs and plants have been found in the country.
- National Medicinal Plants Board, AYUSH Ministry has been implementing the following schemes in 2008-2009:
- Central Sector Scheme on Conservation, Development and Sustainable Management of Medicinal Plants.
- Centrally Sponsored Scheme of National Mission on Medicinal Plants.
- According to BSI, an organisation under Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate Change about 70 medicinal and aromatic plant species are threatened on account of anthropogenic activities.