Contract framing and ‘One village One crop’ scheme in Sikkim
Q. Which of the following is/are true regarding agriculture in Sikkim?
1) Sikkim, India’s first fully organic state, has declared that it will not allow Contract farming.
2) Sikkim will introduce ‘One village One crop scheme’.- Published on 19 Feb 16
a. Only 1
b. Only 2
c. Both 1 and 2
d. Neither 1 nor 2
ANSWER: Only 2
- The Sikkim Government will soon introduce Contract farming in the State for making the agriculture more lucrative.
- The State Government will also introduce the “One Village One Crop” Scheme where one identified potential crop will be cultivated in each village.
- Ten villages in each district will be identified and progressive farmers will be selected as beneficiaries under it.
- Government is trying to make Sikkim self- sustainable in agricultural produce by encouraging hoteliers and other stakeholders to adopt contract farming. The Government is making all efforts to integrate organic farming with tourism as well.
- The State Government will focus on on-farm production of bio- fertilizers and bio-feed.