Narendra Kumar on March 9, 2017 was appointed the new chairman of the Central Water Commission.
He succeeded GS Jha who supernannuated on the same day.
He is a CWES or Central Water Engineering Service officer of 1979 batch.
Holding a bachelor's degree in civil engineering from IIT-Roorkee, he has completed his M.Tech with structural engineering as specialization from IIT-D.
Narendra Kumar worked in the Central Water Commission in various capacities such as an assistant director, deputy director and director.
He also had served as the senior joint commissioner in the Union Ministry of Water Resources between 2002 and 2005.
He worked as the commissioner, Brahmaputra and Barak wing of the ministry between 2011 and 2014.Central Water Commission: Know More
- It is a premier technical organization of India in the field of water resources.
- At present, it is functioning as an attached office of the Union Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation.
- The commission is headed by a chairman, with the status of Ex-Officio Secretary to the Government of India.
- The work of the commission is divided among 3 wings, namely, Designs and Research (D&R) Wing, River Management (RM) Wing and Water Planning and Projects (WP&P) Wing.
- Each wing is placed under the charge of a full-time member with the status of Ex-Officio Additional Secretary to the Government of India.
- It is comprising of a number of organizations responsible for the disposal of tasks and duties falling within their assigned scope of functions.