Direct Democracy devices - Referendum, Initiative, Recall, Plebiscite
Q. Which of the following sentences is/are true?
1) Plebiscite is when a proposed general legislation is referred to the electorate for acceptance through direct voting.
2) Republic means elected head of government.- Published on 15 Feb 17
a. Only 1
b. Only 2
c. Both 1 and 2
d. Neither 1 nor 2
ANSWER: Neither 1 nor 2
The Preamble says – “We, THE PEOPLE OF INDIA, having solemnly resolved to constitute India into a SOVEREIGN, SOCIALIST, SECULAR, DEMOCRATIC, REPUBLIC…”
- Democratic-Rule of people.4. Direct democracy has 4 devices - Referendum, Initiative, Recall and Plebiscite
1. Doctrine of popular sovereignty means people possess supreme power
2. Democracy is of two types - direct and indirect.
3. In direct democracy, the people exercise their supreme power directly e.g., Switzerland.
Referendum - procedure in which a proposed legislation is referred to the electorate for acceptance through direct voting.
Initiative - method by means of which the people can propose a bill to the legislature for enactment.
Recall - way for voters to remove a representative or an officer before the expiry of his/her term, when he fails to discharge his duties properly.
Plebiscite - method of obtaining the opinion of people on any issue of public importance. It is generally used to solve territorial disputes.
5. In indirect democracy, the representatives elected by the people exercise the supreme power. This also called representative democracy.
6. These are of two kinds - parliamentary and presidential.
7. India has representative parliamentary democracy with universal adult franchise.
8. The preamble envisions political, social and economic democracy.
- Republic-It means elected head of state.
1. It means head of state is not hereditary like in monarchy.
2. Political sovereignty rests with people.
3. All public offices are open to all without any discrimination.