Fengyun-4 - China’s new weather satellite
Q. China has launched a new weather satellite on 10th Dec 2016. What is it called?- Published on 12 Dec 16
d. None of the above
China has launched new weather satellite Fengyun-4 marking an upgrade of its meteorological satellites in geostationary orbit.
The Fengyun-4 satellite is the first of China's second-generation weather satellites in geostationary orbit to have been launched.
It is also the country's first quantitative remote-sensing satellite in highest orbit.
Launched Xichang Satellite Launch Centre in southwest China's Sichuan Province on Dec 10, 2016, it was taken into orbit by a Long March-3B carrier rocket, state run Xinhua news agency.About Fengyun-4
- One of China’s 15 weather satellites.
- 242nd mission of Long March series of rockets.
- For high time, spatial and spectral resolution observations of the atmosphere, clouds and space environment of China and surrounding regions.
- Aims at significantly improving capabilities of weather and climate forecasts.
- The China Meteorological Administration is the primary user of the satellite.