Goa Declaration of the 8th BRICS Summit
Q. Which of the following are the highlights of the Goa Declaration of the 8th BRICS Summit?
1) Resolution on civil war in Syria
2) Urgent need to reforms of the United Nations, including UN Security Council
3) Included Pakistan-sponsored terrorism- Published on 24 Oct 16
a. 1, 3
b. 1, 2
c. 2, 3
d. All of the above
ANSWER: 1, 2
- Comments on terrorism were made but no country was named as such directly. BRICS failed to reach a consensus on including Pakistan-sponsored terrorism in its Goa declaration.
- On Syria, the declaration called upon all parties involved to work for a comprehensive and peaceful resolution of the conflict taking into account the legitimate aspirations of the people of Syria, through inclusive national dialogue and a Syrian-led political process.
- They also resolved to continue the relentless pursuit against terrorist groups so designated by the UN Security Council including ISIL, Jabhat al-Nusra and other terrorist organisations designated by the UN Security Council.
- The declaration asks for a comprehensive reform of the UN, including its Security Council, with a view to making it more representative, effective and efficient, and to increase the representation of the developing countries so that it can adequately respond to global challenges.