High speed Talgo train coaches of Spain
Q. Indian Railways is conducting trial runs with high speed Talgo train coaches. They are associated with which country?- Published on 01 Jun 16
- Indian Railways is conducting trial runs with Talgo train coaches, which the Spanish company claims can help Railways attain higher speeds, even on the existing tracks. The lighter and faster train, with nine coaches is being hauled by a 4,500 HP diesel engine on the Bareilly-Moradabad line in Uttar Pradesh.
- The trial runs with Talgo coaches will continue till June 12, after which they will be tried on the Rajdhani track at speeds of up to 180 kmph. The route chosen for the high-speed trial run is between Mathura and Palwal.
- First trial is from Bareilly to Moradabad, Second phase will be between Mathura and palwal and the third phase will be between Delhi and Mumbai.
- Talgo's coaches are said to weigh much less than an average Indian Railways coach, and that is what the company claims will help it run trains at a higher speed. They also consume 30% less energy, the company says.
- The aim of the trial run with Talgo coaches is to reduce by 5 hours the time taken on the Delhi-Mumbai route.