Hindi author Mamta Kalia wins Vyas Samman 2017
Q. Who has been chosen for the Vyas Samman 2017 award?- Published on 11 Dec 17
a. Mamta Kalia
c. Chetan Bhagat
d. Tuhin Sinha
ANSWER: Mamta Kalia
Renowned Hindi scholar and writer Mamta Kalia (77) was chosen for Vyas Samman 2017 for her novel "Dukkham Sukkham".
She was selected by selection committee headed by author Vishwanath Prasad Tiwari.
Dukkham Sukkham published in 2009 is saga of a lower middle-class familys three generations. The literary work focuses on the transition in relations and situations of our society.Mamta Kalia
Vyas Samman award
- She was born in 1940 in Vrindavan, Uttar Pradesh. She had received MA in English from Delhi University before taking up lecturership at SNDT Women's University in Mumbai.
- Since 1973, she headed degree college in Allahabad before retiring in 2001.
- She is known for her works in Hindi and English including "Beghar", "Janch Abhi Jaari Hai", "Nirmohi", and "Bolne Wali Aurat".
- Earlier she has received "Yashpal Katha Samman" from Uttar Pradesh Hindi Sansthan, "Ram Manohar Lohia Samman" and "Sahitya Bhushan Samman".
- The Vyas Samman award was instituted by KK Birla Foundation in 1991.
- It is awarded annually to outstanding literary work in Hindi authored and published in past 10 years by an Indian citizen.
- The award carries monetary award of Rs.3.5 lakh, a citation and a plaque.