Host nation Brazil wins Olympic football gold medal for the first time
Q. Which nation won its first Olympic men’s football gold medal in August 2016?- Published on 22 Aug 16
At the Rio Olympics, Brazil star forward Neymar gave the 2016 Rio Olympics host nation its biggest victory as he handed the country its first Olympic football gold medal, winning penalty in a 5-4 shootout victory over Germany.
- Neymar is undeniably Brazil’s biggest soccer star.
- He was injured in the FIFA championships this year.
- In a dramatic penalty kick shotout, the 24 year old star secured a historic win for his nation.
- Earlier, the Brazilian skipper put his side in the lead with a superb free kick in the 27th minute of the game before Germany skipper Maximilian Meyer came with an equaliser just before the hour to force the extra period.
- This victory of Brazil comes two years after an embarrassing 1-7 home loss to Germany’s senior team in the World Cup semi-finals two years ago.