How is Chairman of Rajya Sabha selected?
Q. Which of the following are true regarding the Chairman of Rajya Sabha?
1) Salaries and allowances of the Chairman of Rajya Sabha can be voted upon in the Parliament.
2) Chairman cannot vote in the first instance
3) Chairman of Rajya Sabha is not a member of the Rajya Sabha.- Published on 02 Mar 17
a. 1, 2
b. 2, 3
c. 1, 3
d. All of the above
ANSWER: 2, 3
- The presiding officer of the Rajya Sabha is known as the Chairman.
- The Vice-President of India is the ex-officio Chairman of the Rajya Sabha.
- During any period when the Vice-President acts as President or discharges the functions of the President, he does not perform the duties of the office of the Chairman of Rajya Sabha.
- The Chairman of the Rajya Sabha can be removed from his office only if he is removed from the office of the Vice-President.
- As a presiding officer, the powers and functions of the Chairman in the Rajya Sabha are similar to those of the Speaker in the Lok Sabha.
Speaker has two special powers which are not enjoyed by the Chairman -
(a) The Speaker decides whether a bill is a money bill or not and his decision on this question is final.
(b) The Speaker presides over a joint sitting of two Houses of Parliament.
- Unlike the Speaker (who is a member of the House), the Chairman is not a member of the House.
- But, like the Speaker, the Chairman also cannot vote in the first instance.
- He too can cast a vote in the case of an equality of votes.
- The Vice-President cannot preside over a sitting of the Rajya Sabha as its Chairman when are solution for his removal is under consideration.
- However, he can be present and speak in the House and can take part in its proceedings, without voting, even at such a time (while the Speaker can vote in the first instance when a resolution for his removal is under consideration of the Lok Sabha).
- As in case of the Speaker, the salaries and allowances of the Chairman are also fixed by the Parliament.
- They are charged on the Consolidated Fund of India and thus are not subject to the annual vote of Parliament.
- During any period when the Vice-President acts as President or discharges the functions of the President, he is not entitled to any salary or allowance payable to the Chairman of the Rajya Sabha.
- But he is paid the salary and allowance of the President during such a time.