In which ways are Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha equal?
Q. Which of the following is/are true?
1) Only Rajya Sabha can initiate removal of the Vice-President.
2) Financial bills involving expenditure from the Consolidated Fund of India cannot be introduced in the Rajya Sabha.- Published on 02 Mar 17
a. Only 1
b. Only 2
c. Both 1 and 2
d. Neither 1 nor 2
ANSWER: Only 1
The powers and status of the Rajya Sabha are equal to that of the Lok Sabha -
1. Introduction and passage of ordinary bills.
2. Introduction and passage of Constitutional amendment bills.
3. Introduction and passage of financial bills involving expenditure from the Consolidated Fund of India.
4. Election and impeachment of the president.
5. Election and removal of the Vice-President - However, Rajya Sabha alone can initiate the removal of the Vice-President.
6. He is removed by a resolution passed by the Rajya Sabha by a special majority and agreed to by the Lok Sabha by a simple majority.
7. Making recommendation to the President for the removal of Chief Justice and judges of Supreme Court and high courts, Chief Election Commissioner and Comptroller and Auditor General.
8. Approval of ordinances issued by the President.
9. Approval of proclamation of all three types of emergencies by the President.
10. Selection of ministers including the Prime Minister. Under the Constitution, the ministers including the Prime Minister can be members of either House.
11. However, irrespective of their membership, they are responsible only to the Lok Sabha.
12. Consideration of the reports of the constitutional bodies like Finance Commission, Union Public Service Commission, comptroller and auditor general, etc.
13. Enlargement of the jurisdiction of the Supreme Court and the Union Public Service Commission.