India and Egypt sign Maritime Transport Agreement
Q. India and which country have signed an agreement on maritime transport?- Published on 06 Sep 16
India and Egypt on 2nd September 2016 signed an agreement on maritime transport. Agreement will help the two nations to step on cooperation on the seas and not just maritime commerce.
- Transit of naval vessels will also form part of the commerce
- Agreement was signed after delegation level talks between PM Narendra Modi and visiting President of Egypt Abdel Fattah El-Sisi.
- The Egyptian president is on a three day visit at the invitation of President Pranab Mukherjee
- The Union Cabinet earlier approved the signing of an agreement between India and Egypt on Maritime Transport
- It has been decided that an agreement will be signed on mutually convenient date and venue
- Proposal was approved with a view to strengthening cooperation and rendering sustained mutual assistance and advice on merchant shipping and related maritime matters.
- The two leaders also agreed that a special and enlarged India by the Nile Festival will be held in 2017 to commemorate the 70th anniversary of India’s independence
- They also called for a proposal to have the inaugural Egypt by the Ganga Festival in 2017