Union Minister of State for Youth Affairs and Sports (Independent Charge) Col. Rajyavardhan Rathore released the India Youth Development Index and Report 2017.
The objective of constructing the India Youth Development Index (YDI) 2017 is to track the trends in Youth Development across the States.
The Index enables recognizing the high and low performing states, identifies the weak domains and informs the policy makers the priority areas of intervention for youth development in the states.
The Rajiv Gandhi National Institute of Youth Development (RGNIYD), Sriperumbudur, Tamil Nadu, an Institute of National Importance has come out with Youth Development Index and Report 2017.
This is a pioneering attempt made by the Institute in 2010 which it followed up with the India Youth Development Index in 2017.
Constructing Youth Development Index for the year 2017 was done using the latest definition of youth as used in National Youth Policy-2014 (India) and World Youth Development Report of Commonwealth (15-29 years) as well as using the Commonwealth Indicators in order to facilitate Global comparison. India Youth Development Index 2017: Know More
- In the India Youth Development Index 2017, the first five dimensions are retained same as that of Global YDI.
- The indicators and weights have been modified based on the availability of data at sub-national level and the importance of the indicators in explaining Youth Development with the aim of capturing the multidimensional properties that indicate progress in youth development at the sub-national level i.e., state level.
- Global YDI is different from YDI constructed for India in one unique way; YDI for India adds a new domain, social inclusion, to assess the inclusiveness of societal progress as structural inequalities persist in Indian society.
- This construction helps to identify the gaps that require intensification of policy intervention.
- This report is of immense value to enable comparisons across geographical areas and categories, as human development index has done in comparing the development situation across regions, nations and localities.
- The index also measures the achievements made besides serving as an advocacy tool for youth development and facilitates to identify priority areas for development of Policy and Interventions.
- YDI-2017 will enable the policy makers track the national and the regional progress as well setbacks in youth development policies, planning, priority identification and implementation strategies.
- Besides providing insights to suggest alternatives and options, it also aids in judicious allocation of resources.