Indian Railways and ISRO MoU
Q. Indian Railways has signed an agreement with the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) for
1) Providing passenger information in all trains.
2) Survey new route alignments
3) Prevent accidents- Published on 23 Mar 16
a. 2, 3
b. 1, 2
c. 1, 3
d. All of the above
ANSWER: 1, 2
- The Railway Ministry has signed an agreement with the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) to leverage space technology for providing passenger information in all trains, map railway assets and help survey new route alignments.
- It also requested ISRO to conduct a study to find ways to ensure smooth rail traffic during the foggy season.
- At present, Indian Railways uses space technology to provide connectivity to passenger reservation counters, unreserved ticketing system in remote areas, and emergency communication using satellite phones during disaster.
- The Memorandum of Understanding aims at developing applications in the field of remote sensing and graphic information system, proposes to provide information such as train stoppages, real-time train tracking, survey of new rail route alignments in hilly and difficult terrain.