Indonesia, India release joint statement
Q. Who is the first Indonesian president to visit India?- Published on 13 Dec 16
a. Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono
b. Joko Widodo
c. Megawati Sukarnoputri
d. Abdurrahman Wahid
ANSWER: Joko Widodo
Indonesia and India on 12th
December 2016 released a joint statement in New Delhi.
- The statement was released after extensive talks between the Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the President of Indonesia Joko Widodo; the latter is on a three day visit, marking the first by an Indonesian president
- Strategic Engagement: Both the leaders agreed to hold annual summit meetings, including on the margins of multilateral events.
- They also welcomed the submission of a Vision Document 2025 India-Indonesia Eminent Persons Group (EPG).
- They directed the two Defence Ministers to explore collaboration between defence industries for the joint production of equipment including capacity building cooperation.
- President Widodo welcomed Prime Minister Modi’s initiatives in the area of renewable energy, particularly the establishment of the International Solar Alliance.
- Inking of an MoU between the Indonesian National Standardisation Agency (BSN) and Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) on Standardisation Cooperation took place.
- Both sides agreed to enhance cooperation on youth affairs and sports and in this regard welcomed the signing of an MOU on Cooperation in Youth Affairs and Sports.
- Common challenges like terrorism were also discussed and cooperation for counter terrorism formulated.
- Capital: Jakarta
- Currency: Indonesian rupiah
- Population: 249.9 million (2013) World Bank
- Official language: Indonesian