Israel breaks ties with UNESCO
Q. Which nation suspended cooperation with UN cultural agency UNESCO in Oct 2016?- Published on 17 Oct 16
d. None of the above
Israel in Oct 2016 suspended cooperation with UN cultural agency UNESCO, accusing it of denying Judaism’s connections to the region and religion’s holiest sites
- The Israel National Commission of UNESCO has suspended all professional activities with international organisations
- This comes after the UNESCO approved a draft resolution using only the Islamic name for a hilltop complex, the holiest site in Judaism
- Draft was passed by 24 in favour, 6 against and 26 abstentions
- Hilltop complex is called Temple Mount in Jewish and Haram al-Sharif in Islam
- Resolution sponsored by several Arab countries refers to occupied Palestine and safeguard Palestinian cultural heritage and the distinctive character of east Jerusalem.
- East Jerusalem, with sites holy to Jews, Christians and Muslims, was captured by Israel during the 1967 Mideast war.