Jean Claude Junker appoints Michel Barnier as Brexit EU negotiator
Q. EU’s Jean Claude Juncker has appointed whom as the Brexit negotiator?- Published on 29 Jul 16
a. Michel Barnier
b. Nick Clegg
c. Frederic Barnier
d. Jean Barnier
ANSWER: Michel Barnier
Taking a tough stand, EU chief Jean Claude Juncker appointed well known anti Brit eurocrat former commissioner Michel Barnier as the Brexit negotiator in what is being seen as alarming for UK.
- Federalist Frenchman had tried to enforce a tax on all financial transactions and hit bankers with punitive bonus caps.
- EU Commission Chief has also demanded Britain should trigger Article 50 to begin formal departure as soon as possible.
- Ministers saw the hiring as a move to outdo Donald Tusk, the EU Council president.
- Barnier is the former internal markets commissioner and was recently a special adviser to Juncker on defence.
- The 65-year old Barnier held a position of internal markets commissioner from 2009-2014.