Largest survey of stars carried out by ESA’s Gaia
Q. Largest ever survey of stars in the Milky Way has been conducted by which ESA satellite?- Published on 16 Sep 16
d. None of the above
The largest ever survey of stars in the Milky Way was made public on 14th Sept, 2016.
- Data on 1142 million stars was gathered by Gaia a satellite launched by ESA in July 2014
- The release features the distances and motions across the sky for more than two million stars
- Gaia is currently a million km from earth
- It is scheduled to prepare a 3D map of a billion stars
- There are 100 billion stars in the Milky Way
- Gaia is at the forefront of astrometry
- Launched 1000 days ago, it began its scientific work in July 2014
- The first release encompasses 14 months of scanning the sky up to September 2015
- Satellite is working wel
- Transforming raw information into reliable data has been entrusted to a consortium of 450 scientists and engineers called the DPAC or Gaia Data Processing and Analysis Consortium.