Legislative Council in 7 states.
Q. Which of the following has/have the Legislative Council?
2) Tamil Nadu
3) Madhya Pradesh- Published on 20 Sep 16
a. 1, 2, 3
b. 2, 3
d. None of the above
- At present, only 7 states have two Houses (bicameral). These are Andhra Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Maharashtra, Karnataka and Jammu and Kashmir.
- The Tamil Nadu Legislative Council Act, 2010 has not come into force. The Legislative Council in Andhra Pradesh was revived by the Andhra Pradesh Legislative Council Act, 2005.
- The 7th Amendment Act of 1956 provided for a Legislative Council in Madhya Pradesh.
- However, a notification to this effect has to be made by the President. So far, no such notification has been made. Hence, Madhya Pradesh continues to have one House only.