Majuli, largest river island - Guinness World Records
Q. Which Indian state is home to the largest river island in the world, as per the Guinness Book of World Record?- Published on 06 Sep 16
The Guinness World Records on September 1, 2016 declared the Majuli river island in Assam as the largest in the world.
- The island is located in the Brahmaputra
- As per the Guinness World Record, the island lost one third of its area in the past 30 to 40 years on account of frequent flooding of the river.
- Majuli has a total area of 1250 square kilometres at the beginning of the 20th century
- It has lost significantly to erosion
- It has an area of only 352 square kilometres in 2014
- Island is formed by River Brahmaputra in the south and Kherkutia Muti, a branch of the Brahmaputra joined by Subansiri River in the north
- Island is accessible by ferries from the city of Jorhat
- It was formed due to course changes by the river Brahmaputra and its tributaries mainly the Lohit
- It was also the abode of Assamese neo Vaisnavite culture