Former Hockey player Mariamma Koshy on 25th Nov 2016 took charge of Hockey India as its president with immediate effect.
63-year-old Koshy succeeded Narinder Dhruv Batra as the first ever non European chief of the sport’s governing body International Hockey Federation.
Earlier in Nov 2016, Batra made history by becoming the first India and 15th FIH president. Batra served Hockey India as its secretary general from 2010 to 2014. He was serving as the organisation’s President since 2014.
Secretary General of Hockey India, Mohd Mushtaque Ahmed took over as chairman of the Hockey India League Governing Body.
Batra stepped down from his post due to election in the FIH. He cannot hold both posts Hockey India and FIH at the same time. He also resigned as chairman of the Hockey India League conceived in 2013About “Hockey India”
- Governing body of field hockey in India
- Jurisdiction : Whole of India
- Abbreviation : HI
- Hockey India was founded in the year 2009
- It is affiliated to the International Hockey Federation
- Headquartered in New Delhi, India, its sponsor is Sahara India Pariwar