Movidius acquired by Intel
Q. Movidius has been acquired by which tech major in September 2016?- Published on 07 Sep 16
To play a leading role in providing human like sight to 50 billion connected devices projected by 2020, Intel has acquired San Mateo based Movidius.
- With this acquisition, Intel gains low power, high performance System on a Chip platform for acceleration of computer vision applications
- It is working with customers like Google and Lenovo to provide sight to smart devices including AR or VR headsets.
- Their Vision Processing Unit platform for on device vision processing combined with Intel Industry's Intel Real Sense Technology is a winning combination for autonomous machines seen in 3D
- Computer vision enables the machine to visually process and understand surroundings
- Using integration computer vision enables navigation, mapping, collision avoidance, tracking, object recognition inspection analytics and more
- Ability to track, navigate, map and recognise both scenes and objects using Movidius low power and top performance SOCs opens chances in areas where heat, form factors and battery life are the key