Q. What is Navika Sagar Parikrama?- Published on 12 Sep 17
a. First ever circumnavigation of globe by all women crew
b. First ever circumnavigation of globe by all women Indian crew
c. First ever circumnavigation of Indian peninsula by all women crew
d. First ever circumnavigation of Indian peninsula by all woman Indian crew
ANSWER: First ever circumnavigation of globe by all women Indian crew
Union Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman on 10th Sept flagged off the all-women team of the ‘Navika Sagar Parikrama’ in Panaji, Goa.
The crew of the ‘Sagar Parikrama’ comprises of six-member all women team on board the sailing vessel INSV Tarini and will circumnavigate the globe in approximately 165 days.
This is the first-ever Indian circumnavigation of the globe by an all-women crew. Cdr Dilip Dhonde has trained the crew. He is the first sailor to circumnavigate.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi took to Twitter to congratulate and wish the team on their journey.
The team comprises of- Lt Cdr Vartika Joshi and Lt Payal Gupta from Uttarakhand, Lt Cdr Pratibha Jamwal from Himachal, Lt Cdr P Swathi from Andhra Pradesh, Lt Aishwarya Boddapati from Telangana and Lt Shourgrakpam Vijaya Devi hailing from Manipur.
- Vartika Joshi has rich sailing experience and has led INSV Mhadei as well as INSV Tarini.
- Pratibha Jamwal has sailed from Goa to Port Blair, Goa to Mauritius and Goa to Cape Town.
- P Swathi who sailed onboard INSV Mhadei also took part in the recent Cape to Rio race.
- Aishwarya Boddapati has sailed onboard INSV Tarini and Mhadei in 2017 and 2016 respectively.
- Vijaya Devi has sailed extensively from 2014 onwards.
- Payal Gupta has distinguished herself as a sailor.