OCI card only for spouses
Q. Which of the following is/are true regarding?
1) Spouses and live-in partners of Indian origin people are entitled for OCI cards
2) The Spouse or live-In partner needs to have roots in India.- Published on 01 Mar 16
a. Only 1
b. Only 2
c. Both 1 and 2
d. Neither 1 nor 2
ANSWER: Neither 1 nor 2
- Applications by live-in partners of Indian origin people for Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) cards have put the government in a fix as the facility is offered only to spouses.
- The Home Ministry is now examining the relevant rules and mulling over what to do with such applications.
- The rules are clear that OCI cards can be issued only to the spouse of an Indian origin person even if the spouse does not have any root in India.
- There is no mention of live-in partners. Besides, there are no rules regarding children of such live-in couples.