Google, in partnership with Indian railways RailTel on 22nd Dec 2016 launched Railwire Wi-Fi at Udhagamandalam (Ooty).
With this it succeed in fulfilling the commitment to bring high-speed Internet to 100 railway stations by the end of 2016.
With over 5 million monthly users, the Google-Railtel Wi-Fi is helping millions of Indians discover the benefits of Internet with 15,000 first time users connecting to the network every day.
Nearly 1 crore passengers who pass through these stations every day have an access to the free Internet.
The users need to select Railwire as a preferred Wi-Fi network and enter a four-digit OTP (one-time password) to access data services.
The initiative launched in January this year, Google said, will continue to deploy the Wi-Fi at next 300 stations over a period of a couple of years.Google
- CEO: Sundar Pichai (Since 2015)
- Founded: September 4, 1998, Menlo Park, California, United States
- Revenue: 74.54 billion USD
- Subsidiaries: YouTube, Nik Software, AdMob, ITA Software
- Founders: Larry Page, Sergey Brin
- Native name: रेलटेल कॉर्पोरेशनऑफ़इंडियालिमिटेड
- Type: Public sector undertaking (PSU)
- Industry: Telecommunications
- Founded: September 2000;
- Headquarters: 143, Institutional Area, Sector-44, Gurgaon, Haryana, India
- R.K. Bahuguna (Chairman & MD)
- Services: RailTel Services, Carrier Service-Leased Line, NLD for Voice Carriage, Managed Co locations Enterprise Service (MPLS-VPN), Internet