Pakistani Parliament adopts legislation to deal with cybercrime
Q. Pakistan’s Parliament adopted a legislation to deal with which offence?- Published on 16 Aug 16
b. Honour Killings
c. Both of the above
d. Neither of the above
Pakistan’s parliament adopted a draconian legislation to deal with cybercrime in the country despite criticism by opposition parties and groups working to protect fundamental rights.
- National Assembly or lower house passed the “Prevention of Electronic Crimes Act” without any amendment to the draft passed by the Senate.
- Senate also made close to 50 amendments which were passed by the National Assembly in April.
- Law includes a total of 21 offences related to misuse of the Internet with over a dozen crimes for which fresh law prescribes jail term.
- This includes the use of cyberspace for terrorism, pornography, hate speech, fraud and tampering information.
- Opposition parties including Pakistan People Party, Pakistan’s Tehreek-i-Insaf and Muttahida Quasi Movement condemned sections of the bill.