Person to be accorded SC status if reconverts to Hinduism and accepted by people of his caste: SC

Q.  Which court has held that a person can be accorded Scheduled Caste status on re-conversion to Hinduism, if he is accepted by people of his caste and he proves that either he, or his forefathers, previously belonged to that caste, before embracing another religion?
- Published on 27 Feb 15

a. Bombay High Court
b. Allahabad High Court
c. Delhi High Court
d. Supreme Court

ANSWER: Supreme Court
The Apex court's judgment came on a plea by a petitioner challenging the Kerala High Court verdict. The petitioner was born a Christian, as his grandfather had embraced the religion after leaving Hinduism, and he became a Hindu again. He was granted an SC certificate of a Hindu caste, to which his ancestors belonged.

Post your comment / Share knowledge

Enter the code shown above:
(Note: If you cannot read the numbers in the above image, reload the page to generate a new one.)