Powerful explosion hits Manhattan’s Chelsea neighbourhood
Q. Possible terror attack and explosion took place in which neighbourhood of Manhattan, NYC in Sept 2016?- Published on 19 Sep 16
c. Stanton Islands
d. None of the above
Powerful explosion on West 23rd Street in Chelsea Neighbourhood of Manhattan injured 29 people on 17th Sept.
- Investigators later found a suspicious device a few blocks ahead
- The police commissioner, James P. O’Neill, said it occurred in front of 131 West 23rd Street.
- Officials said they believed the explosion had been caused by a homemade bomb that had been placed under a Dumpster.
- The authorities said a suspicious device was found on West 27th Street between Avenue of the Americas and Seventh Avenue almost three hours after the explosion.
- Government officials said initially that they did not believe there was a link between the blasts in New Jersey and New York.
- But later on Sunday senior law enforcement officials said investigators were focusing more on the possibility that the two were connected. Still, the connection was not confirmed.
- Police did not believe the blast in Chelsea was related to a mysterious explosion in Central Park in July, when a teenager from Virginia lost part of his leg.
- An improvised device exploded in a garbage can on 17th Sept in Seaside Park, N.J., near the course of a charity race to benefit members of the United States Marine Corps. The device went off at about 9:30 a.m., around the time the race was scheduled to have started. There were no injuries.