President of India Shri Pranab Mukherjee greets Afghanistan on Independence Day
Q. Independence Day of Afghanistan is celebrated on which date?- Published on 19 Aug 16
a. August 19
b. August 20
c. August 21
d. August 22
ANSWER: August 19
President of India Shri Pranab Mukherjee extended greetings and felicitations to Government and people of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan on the eve of their Independence Day (August 19, 2016).
- Currently the President of Afghanistan is Mohammad Ashraf Ghani and traditional ties of friendship between India and this nation have contributed to peace, stability and progress in SE Asia.
- PM Shri Narendra Modi visited Afghanistan in June 2016. He was conferred with Afghanistan’s highest civilian honour Amir Amanullah Khan Award.
- He was bestowed the honour by President Ghani after the inauguration of the landmark Afghan—India friendship dam in Herat.
- The award was named after national Afghan hero Amanullah Khan (Ghazi) who championed the cause of the nation’s freedom.
- Award was instituted by Afghanistan government in 2006 and previous recipients include US President George Bush, Kazakh’s President Nursultan Nazarbayev, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, NATO General James Jones, former Afghan President spiritual leader Sibghatullah Mujaddedi, and Afghan Chief Justice (CJ) Abdul Salam Azimi
- Indian Afghanistan Friendship Dam will irrigate the fields of 640 villages in the following regions Chiste, Obe, Pashtun Zarghun, Karokh, Gozara, Injil, Zindjan, Kohsan and Ghoryan . It would also bring light to over two hundred and fifty thousand homes in this area.