Properties of lubricants
Mechanical Engineering (MCQ) questions and answers
Design of Machine Elements - 2
Q. Which of the following is not a property of lubricants?
- Published on 23 Sep 15
High specific heat
High flash point
Low pour point
Low oxidation stability
ANSWER: Low oxidation stability
Fluid Mechanics (
Manufacturing Processes - 1 (
Manufacturing Processes - 2 (
Material Science (
Theory of Machines - 1 (
Metrology and Quality Control (
Theory of Machines - 2 (
Heat Transfer (
Hydraulics & Pneumatics (
Basic Mechanical Engineering (
Dynamics of Machinery (
Engineering Metallurgy (
Design of Machine Elements - 1 (
Turbo Machines (
Mechanical System Design (
Engineering Mechanics (
Strength of Materials (
Design of Machine Elements - 2 (
-Posted on 28 Jul 19
libricants need low pour point or high pour point
-Posted on 05 Oct 15
• Friction between two mating surfaces is reduced by using a lubricant. They reduce heat generated during friction. Lubricants contain 90 % of base oil and 10 % additives.
• Lubricant's have high specific heat, high flash point and high pour point.
• They also have high oxidation stability. Chemical reaction taking place between lubricating oil and oxygen present is known as oxidation stability.
• This oxidation stability depends upon quality and type of base oil and additive used. Synthetics like polyalphaolefins have good oxidation stability than mineral oils.
• The number of hours required to increase viscosity or increase in acid number are the methods to evaluate oxidation stability.
Post your comment / Share knowledge
Enter the code shown above:
(Note: If you cannot read the numbers in the above image, reload the page to generate a new one.)