Quercetin causes anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory activity
Q. Quercetin is- Published on 06 Sep 16
a. National Award winner movie
b. Treatment for Zika virus
c. Anti-cancer compound
d. Anti-TB compund
ANSWER: Anti-cancer compound
- IISc Bangalore concluded study on quercetin recently and found it to be extremely useful for cancer patients.
- Quercetin, known to cause anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory activity, reportedly induces ‘apoptosis,’ a process by which cells commit suicide in a controlled manner.
- The compound may also prevent multiplication of cancerous cells by blocking the process of cell division.
- It can even kill the highly aggressive leukaemia cell line K562, which is resistant to most anti-cancer drugs.
- It is an originally purified compound, which is now also commercially purified and sold.
- It was found to have no adverse effects on the non-cancerous cells even while killing the cancerous ones, including in the experimental animals.