Ravichandran Ashwin on 22nd
Dec 2016 won the coveted Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy.
Ashwin was chosen for the award after being adjudged the ICC Test Cricketer of the Year.
With this, he became the second Indian player after Rahul Dravid to bag the two prestigious prizes in the same year.
Ace cricketing legend Sachin Tendulkar won the prestigious award in 2010.
Other recipients of the trophy include Andrew Flintoff, Jacques Kallis, Ricky Ponting, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Mitchell Johnson and others.Ravichandran Ashwin: Know More
- Right handed batsman.
- Right arm off break bowler.
- Plays for Rising Pune Supergiants in IPL.
- Ashwin is the fastest Indian bowler to reach the 50,100, 150 and 200 wicket mark in Test - cricket.
- He is the only bowler in recent times to bowl the carrom ball, besides Ajantha Mendis of Sri Lanka.
Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy: Know More
- Cricket trophy awarded by ICC.
- Winner is chosen world player of the year.
- It was named after former West Indies cricket captain Sir Garfield Sobers.
- Cricketer’s name was chosen by a panel comprising Richie Benaud, Sunil Gavaskar and Michael Holding.
- Trophy was first awarded in 2004 to Rahul Dravid.
- International crystal manufacturer Swarowski has handcrafted the trophy.
- Trophy features a red crystal cricket ball studded with 4200 Swarowksi crystal chantons, which rests on a brass hand extended from the gold plated base.
- In 2015, the trophy was awarded to cricketer Steven Smith.