RS names 10 members to the Joint Committee of Parliament for examining Citizenship (Amendment) Bill 2016
Q. 10 members have been named to the Joint Committee of the Parliament that will examine the Citizenship (Amendment) Bill 2016. This includes:- Published on 16 Aug 16
a. Javed Ali Khan
b. Derek O’Brien
d. All of the above
ANSWER: All of the above
RS has named 10 of its members to the Joint Committee of the Parliament that will closely scrutinise the Citizenship (Amendment) Bill 2016.
- A resolution moved by Minister of State for Home Affairs, H.G. Hair on behalf of Home Minister Rajnath Singh appointed 10 of the members to the Joint Committee of the LS and RS by voice vote.
- Members nominated to the committee included:
- Vinery Saharabuddhe (BJP), Dilip Pandya (BJP), P. Bhattacharya (Congress), Bhubaneswar Kalita (Congress), Javed Ali Khan (SP), Derek O’Brien (TMC), Harivansh (JDU), Prasanna Acharya (BJD). Satish Chandra Mishra (BSP) and Swapan Dasgupta(nominated).
- Draft bill aims to help migrants of nearly all denominations- except Muslims- from neighbouring countries of Afghanistan, Pakistan and Bangladesh to get Indian citizenship following six years.
- Following Opposition objections, Bill was referred to the Joint Committee and then moved to LS.
- Home Minister informed the Lower House that the bill should be send to the panel.