U.S. President-elect Donald Trump has picked climate change sceptic Scott Pruitt, a Republican, to head America’s Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
Currently Attorney-General of Oklahoma, Mr. Pruitt prides himself in being “a leading advocate against the EPA’s activist agenda.”
His appointment could undermine the proactive environmental programme pursued by President Barack Obama.
The selection has outraged environmental activists and organisations.
Mr. Obama and former Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton had sought to build the global climate regime as an opportunity to create jobs in America, in the renewable energy sector.
Mr. Trump, on the other hand, appears to be focused on fossil fuel jobs that have been lost in America. Mr. Pruitt has been a strong supporter of fossil fuel industry in the country.Trump Selects Military Generals
- Trump on 7th Dec named retired four-star Marine general John Kelly to head the Department of Homeland Security.
- Retired general, David Petraeus, has been floated as a possible pick for secretary of state
- Retired admiral Michael Rogers has been rumoured to be in the running for director of national intelligence.
- Gen. Mattis has been chosen as head of Pentagon.
- Having retired in 2013, Mattis needs a special waiver to serve.