Transit of Mercury over the disc of the Sun taking place
Q. A transit of which planet over the disc of the Sun will occur on May 9, 2016?- Published on 05 May 16
A transit of Mercury over the disc of the Sun will occur on May 9, 2016 in the afternoon (19 Vaishakha, 1938 Saka Era). This transit phenomenon will be visible from India.
- This phenomenon takes place when the planet Mercury will be seen as a small black dot traveling from one limb of the solar disc to the other.
- From the Earth this phenomenon is seen when the Mercury passes between the Sun and the Earth.
- Transit will commence with Contact 1, followed by 2, 3 and 4
- The phenomenon will be a rare one observed 13 to 14 times in the century
- The interval between one transit and another for November is 7,13 and 33 years while it is 13 or 33 years for May transit