Two-wheeler ambulances in Chennai
Q. Two-wheeler ambulances have been introduced in- Published on 09 Feb 16
c. New Delhi
- In a bid to optimally utilise the ‘platinum ten’ (the final countdown in the moments following a serious motor vehicle accident) and save human lives just after road accidents, ‘two-wheeler ambulances’ would be positioned at important road junctions to administer first-aid to the injured.
- Immobilisation, resuscitation, oxygen supply and bleeding control procedures performed during these crucial ‘Platinum 10’ minutes have the potential to save the lives of the injured by increasing the chances of their survival.
- These vehicles, which would have sirens, would also have portable oxygen cylinders, pulsoxymeters, BP apparatus, glucometers, and digital thermometers.
- The increased pressure, called intraocular pressure, can damage the optic nerve, which transmits images to the brain. If damage to the optic nerve from high eye pressure continues, glaucoma will cause permanent loss of vision. Without treatment, glaucoma can cause total permanent blindness within a few years.
- A 'smart' contact lens with a built-in sensor could help determine which glaucoma patients are at a higher risk of progression.
- Certain patterns of electrical signals emitted from the contact lenses correlate with a faster rate of glaucoma progression. Similar to how an electrocardiogram shows a heartbeat, the profile of signals from the smart lens indirectly shows eye pressure changes over time.