Union Cabinet approves Surrogacy (Regulation) Bill 2016
Q. What is/are the main aim/s of the Surrogacy Regulation Bill 2016?- Published on 25 Aug 16
a. Establishment of National Surrogacy Board at Central Level
b. Regulation of surrogacy
c. Prohibition of commercial surrogacy
d. All of the above
ANSWER: All of the above
Union Cabinet chaired by PM Shri Narendra Modi has given approval for the introduction of Surrogacy Regulation Bill 2016.
- Bill will regulate surrogacy in India through the establishment of a National Surrogacy Board at the central level and State Surrogacy Boards and Appropriate Authorities in the State and Union Territories.
- Legislation will ensure effective regulation of surrogacy, prohibition of commercial surrogacy and provision of ethical surrogacy to needy infertile couples.
- All infertile married couples who want to avail ethical surrogacy will be benefited.
- Rights of surrogate mother and children born out of surrogacy will be protected.
- Bill shall apply to the whole of India except J&K.
- Major benefit of this act will be that it will regulate surrogacy services in the nation.
- Commercial surrogacy will be prohibited including sale and purchase of human embryos and gametes.
- Ethical surrogacy to needy infertile couples will be allowed on fulfilment of certain conditions and for specific purposes.
- This will prevent exploitation of surrogate mothers and children born through surrogacy
- India has emerged as a surrogacy hub for couples from different countries; there have been reports regarding unethical practices, exploitation of surrogate mothers, abandonment of children born out of surrogacy and rackets of intermediaries exporting human embryos and gametes
- 228th Report of the Law Commission of India also prohibits commercial surrogacy and allows ethical altruistic surrogacy to needy children by enacting a suitable legislation.