United States Postal Service launches Diwali stamp
Q. Which India festival has USPS issued a postage stamp for, marking the first time the US Postal Service is making such an initiative?- Published on 25 Aug 16
Before this, Hinduism was the only major world religion for which a postage stamp had not been issued by the USPS
- US Postal Service on 22nd August announced that it will issue the Diwali postage stamp.
- This marks a long pending demand of the Indo-American community in the United States.
- Diwali stamp is being issued as a “Forever” stamp according to the official statement by USPS.
- Stamp design as shown by the USPS is a photograph featuring a traditional die oil map lit against a sparkling gold background
- Issue ceremony will be held at NYC Indian consulate
- New York based Ranju Batra chairing Diwali Stamp project had led the campaign to send 1000s of letters to USPS regarding this in the past.
- He had also campaigned before the US Congress.