US Secretary of State John Kerry was on 11 December 2016 honoured as the Officer of the Legion of Honour, the highest French civilian distinction for his contribution in peace effort.
Kerry received the award from the French Foreign Minister Jean-Marc Ayrault following the high level talks on Syria’s war by both the sides.
Kerry has visited France countless times as Secretary of State for high-level diplomatic meetings on Syria, Ukraine and other hotspots.
Some of the American recipients include Generals Dwight D Eisenhower and Douglas MacArthur, Admiral Michael Mullen and the United States Military Academy at West Point.Know About the French Legion of Honour
- Order of distinction.
- Established: May 1802
- Established by: Napoleon Bonaparte
- Highest decoration of France.
- Divided into 5 categories: Knight, Officer, Commander, Grand Officer and Grand Cross.
- Highest degree is Grand Master.
- There are 93,000 Legion of Honour recipients at present.